In our organization’s 39th year of hosting our annual meeting in July, for the first time ever we have made a very difficult decision to postpone our gathering due to the early arrival of a wildfire named Hay Creek Fire. At present the air quality index (AQI) is 153, “unhealthy.” Stage 2 fire restrictions are now in effect, and there have been a number of trail and road closures in the North Fork. Thursday through Saturday of this week are forecast to be 90 to 91 degrees and sunny, and wind is expected to prevail from the west. We learned Saturday night that this fire will likely continue until season-ending moisture in the fall. Much of the North Fork is under a pre-evacuation warning and the fire is, as of today, 0% contained. Lastly, we realize that hosting an event would put more pressure on already limited fire management resources.
We are currently working out the details for a fall gathering which will hopefully include less smoke, more colors and all of your smiling faces. Please stay tuned and thank you for your continued support of our mission and we hope everyone stays safe during this extended fire season.
On behalf of the Board of Directors,